The "Men" in My Life

I found a blog post that raised an interesting subject: Who are the men in your life? I got into thinking and I thought it would be easy to answer it. The truth is, it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be even though I wouldn't consider it difficult to single out these men as the men in my life, either.

1. My father

My father has always been a contradiction in my life. He has played a great role in my life, both negatively and positively. He has always been a perfect father figure in terms of financial support. He raises his two daughters well and sends them to school. He takes full responsibility in their education and comfort in growing up. However, he has never been a caring father figure. In the younger days, I lacked so much of his affection that I grew up as a daughter feeling exiled from her own father. He had his share of secrets and abusive behavior whether they were verbal or physical, whether they were accidental or intentional. Having said all that, he is still an important man in my life and I love him. He's much a better man now and a loving father, too. I sense his abundant love towards me and my sister and I can feel nothing except touched and loved.

2. My English teacher

Carl is my second father. I recall our first encounter when he entered the class and introduced himself as the new teacher. I resented him and his trying-to-be-witty sense of humor. But then, I fell for his intelligence and his teaching style. He immediately became the only adult I could confide in. He was so understanding and supportive, he never got mad at me and he talked to me. He didn't look down on me or considered me as someone not worth his while. Instead, he took great interest in my development as an angry teenager and as a bright student. When I was in great despair, he showed me a way. When I was confused and tired, he gave me space and time. When I was back on my feet, he tapped my head and said, "Welcome back." He is the type of teacher that will constantly give me the hardest questions in exam only because he thinks that if he did otherwise, he would be underestimating my ability. He is the kind of teacher that will always look out for me and wish for the best thing for me. I reach all potentials within me because of him. I become who I am today with his help. He is my father, my friend, my brother, my teacher, my enemy and my guardian.

3. My Economics teacher

Paul is someone I shamelessly intend to learn so much from. He is my economics teacher, one who can actually provoke an interest in learning Economics within me. I hated the subject so I was appalled myself when I found myself enjoying his lectures. He is the kind of man who will make you want to admire him. His humble personality, his strong faith in his God, family and himself, his admiration towards his father, his knowledge, his intelligence, and his moral values are joined harmonically within him. He treats everyone as if they were special and he stands his ground firmly when he has to defend what he believes in. He has so many things to share to the world and he does spread a little bit wisdom here and there, trying to move as subtly as he can. He isn't the kind of man who wants to be known for what he does, but more of a man who wants the world to get a glimpse of the complexity of his profound thoughts. He chooses not to be ignorant but to be affectionate. He cares for matters and he wishes everyone to care, too. He is strongly opinionated and softly spoken. He is a great teacher by nature, even though he perhaps lacks the years of experience, as he likes to humbly convince everyone. He is the man behind the scene, unwilling to be recognized but eager to participate in making the world a better place.

4. My best friend

Seth is the one and only best friend I have who I've never even met before in my entire life. My encounter with him was the most bizarre thing that has ever happened to me and yet, I'm glad it happened. My friendship with him was one of the easiest friendships I've ever experienced and one of the most natural things I've ever needed to do. Not only did we 'click' with each other but soon I found him as a person who I can seek advice from and talk about everything with. He is not judgmental. He is realistic and honest. He is persuasive and well-intentioned. He is the kind of person who will always tell you honestly about what he thinks and feels and yet, still can find the best way to utter them to you. He has big dreams and he can influence you easily with his spirit and vision. He can make you want the things he tells you, because he will make it sound too valuable not to experience. Talking to him is really, really easy. He is silly and clumsy in his own way, smart and opinionated in his own way, and special in every way. As crazy as this sounds, given the fact that I've never even talked to him in person, I appreciate his presence in my life as a dear friend and a good man. Having the chance to know him was truly a privilege.


So, who are the men in your life?

0 comments:

Search

Loompaland

My great hope is to laugh as much as I cry; to get my work done and try to love somebody and have the courage to accept the love in return.

Oompa Loompa

My photo
I am lousy in explaining myself in words as I believe articulating something as complicated as personality stringed together in sentences does no justice to the profoundness in me. I may not know much but I know this much is true. I have morbid fascination over people's stories regardless where they came from or what background they grew up in. I indulge in their stories not because I'm nosy but because I find them enriching mine. I wish to be awed by the possibilities and differences I find in people from all over the world and I never hesitate to befriend them if the attraction is likewise. I am a creature of language, emotions, rationality experiences, comprehension, and love. I use words and ideas to change the world, I cling to my emotions and rationality to yield decisions, I base my decisions on experiences, I define skewed things I find through a weak attempt of comprehension and I love almost everyone.